Freezer Meals and Planting

Today was Big D’s first day, while it was just orientation, he was still understandably nervous and excited. We were both up by 5:15 despite not sleeping great due to Little S. I think things will get better once we settle in a bit but at the moment he is just having a really hard time going to sleep at night, thus we are not getting to bed until past 10 most nights. As my first day with the new place I really wanted to focus on the kitchen and living room since that is the main area we will be in with Little S and having a bunch of junk everywhere is not really conducive to 2 year old play. The cable guy came and gave us cable, Internet and phone service so that was lovely and now I can surf the web as needed. Got the kitchen cleaned up, all the pantry stuff put away and made room for the giant box is spices that I sent to myself from Alaska. Also got my succulents potted. I couldn’t bear to leave all my plants so I bagged up each of my succulents and mailed them priority on a big box! We bought a little planter and some dirt yesterday so I got them all settled in their new home today. And they look pretty happy!


Also got a bunch of freezer meals made. Nothing spectacular, just meat (chicken, pork loin, and flank steak) and marinade for most but at least it’s done. I made a really interesting Mustard-Oregano Marinade for the pork and one with Hoisin for the flank steak.

Mustard Oregano Marinade

1/4 cup Dijon mustard

1/4 cup honey

juice from one fresh lemon

3 t. minced garlic (or garlic powder if you prefer)

4 t. oregano

Those amounts are really approximations as I basically just threw in a dollop of everything and squished it around with the pork chops. 🙂 So feel free to add more or less of various ingredients to suit your preference.

Orange Hoisin Marinade

1/4 cup hoisin sauce

1/4 cup orange juice

3 T. soy sauce

1 T. ginger (fresh or powdered – whatever you have)

3 T. sesame oil

3 cloves of garlic, minced

Again these are approximations as I threw my flank steak into a ziplock baggie and threw everything in and mushed it around.  I realized belatedly I did not have a mixing bowl in which to mix any ingredients, but this method worked just fine.

Stocked fridge

Also got the living room cleared out and moved all the miscellaneous junk to the bedroom. Now of course the bedrooms are a disaster, but at least Little S has a clear place to play with his trains and tracks. Tomorrow I will also attempt to deal with all of our clothes which I unloaded from the suitcases to try to clear out space. We ordered Little S a toddler bed as the queen sized bed in “his” room is a bit much at his age, but until it arrives he is sleeping on his mattress at the foot of our bed on a big mat. He doesn’t know it, but I bought some new Thomas &Friends bedding as a surprise when we get his new bed all organized. Thanks to Amazon Prime it should be here in a couple days! He also got a couple of new trains for his wooden railway as I have been feeling guilty about the craziness of the past few weeks and its effect on him. Just need to get through this week and finish getting the apartment organized and then it’s back to our regular routine!

Things are moving along!


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s